“You don’t get to tell me when to quit.”
The trailer for “On the Basis of Sex” has dropped and it is all shades of awesome. The movie, with a stellar cast led by Felicity Jones, is a biopic centering on the early activism of US Supreme Court Justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The story follows the true-life struggle for women’s rights to be treated as equals in a male-dominated society. Find the trailer below:
Christmas cannot come soon enough. Movies like this remind one that activism and resistance are as old as time and that you are never alone fighting the good fight. It also shows how far feminism has come and what it has achieved over time.
With a supportive [and feminist] husband by her side, Ruth Bader Ginsburg faces the Supreme Court and argues against the forces of the patriarchy. How exactly does that go? We’ll just have to wait for the movie to come out. Or crack open a history book. Or both.
* What’s with the dope beauty filter, though? Felicity Jones and Armie Hammer have some kind of glow I have never seen before.
*So, is this the role that gets Armie Hammer an Oscar nod? I’m still mad they snubbed him for “Call Me by Your Name” and that Facebook movie.
* I need to get that song from the trailer.
* Is Felicity reading the book upside down in 1:11?
* When will we see Nollywood movies like this? Perhaps, something about the Aba women’s riot? Or Funmilayo-Ransome Kuti? Where are our movies about strong historic women, guys?
* “Nor does the word “freedom”, Your Honour. *mic drop*